UNISA Bachelor of Social Work Course
|Maximum time to complete this qualification:||10 years|
Qualification admission requirements
Your admission to Unisa is dependent on you meeting the specific admission requirements for your chosen qualification.
This qualification is open for application, but the offering of the qualification in 2020 is conditional upon it being registered with SAQA.
A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with degree endorsement with 60% in the language of teaching and learning and further FOUR content subjects in Matric,
A Senior Certificate (SC) with matriculation exemption or qualify for the exemption from the Matriculation Board with at least a C symbol on HG or a B symbol in SG in the language of teaching and learning and further FOUR content subjects in Matric,
A Certificate in Social Auxiliary Work at NQF level 4 with one year of professional practice as a registered Social Auxiliary Worker;
a Higher Certificate at NQF level 5.
Applicants should note that this is a selection degree, in which they will be assessed to ascertain suitability to the profession. In addition to the above requirements, applicants will be subjected to the following:
Criminal convictions checks as mandated by the South African Council for Social Service Professions (SACSSP),
A police clearance for criminal convictions checks aligned with the definition of a ‘fit and proper person’ by the SACSSP.
Applicants must include, together with their documentation, a receipt or affidavit from SAPS indicating that they have applied for a police clearance certificate. This clearance certificate must be submitted by successful applicants at the time of registration.
Two character references from credible sources, such as a school leader, a religious leader, or a community leader.
Applicants, who do not comply with the above requirements, should consider applying for a lower level qualification for which they meet the statutory and additional requirements.
Pay the application fee once you’ve received your student number:
- R105 for online applications
- R160 for hard copy applications
Please note that this application fee is non-refundable even if you decide not to study through Unisa or do not qualify for admission to Unisa.
Click here to find out more about Unisa’s student fees, and the bursaries and loans for Unisa students.
Applications for admission to undergraduate higher certificates, diplomas & degrees, advanced certificates, advanced diplomas, the Postgraduate Certificate in Education & BTech degrees will be open from August – September
Applications will however close earlier on August for the following two qualifications:
- Bachelor of Social Work (90088)
- Higher Certificate in Social Auxiliary Work (90011)
- Everyone wanting to start a new qualification must apply for admission.
- Unisa will inform you of the outcome of your application. If successful, Unisa will indicate for which qualification you have been accepted and will offer you a space for the period for which you have applied (ie either semester 1 or semester 2).
- You must accept or decline Unisa’s offer within the prescribed period of time.
- If you accept Unisa’s offer, you must register for the period for which you have been granted admission (ie semester 1 or semester 2). Should you not register for the relevant semester of study, you will need to re-apply for admission during the next application period.
Additional support for this qualification via TVET colleges
Unisa has an agreement with various Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) colleges to offer classes in a selected number of qualifications. These classes have proved to generally improve the throughput rate of students who enrol for them.
Take note of the following:
- Make sure that your TVET college of choice offers support in your qualification.
- Apply for admission during Unisa’s application period via your TVET college or via Unisa.
Unisa will send the necessary information about registration dates and the registration process to all successful applicants who have confirmed their acceptance of Unisa’s offer. Visit www.unisa.ac.za/register for registration information.